Sunday 23 October 2011

FEEL THE LOVE

I suppose if one thinks of love poetry, then Keats or Shelley come to mind. But they are long gone. Who would you say has taken their place?

Just like the daisy which goes unnoticed as it is trampled on, sometimes beauty is found right under our feet. I give you the words of Don Black:


Tell me on a Sunday

"Don't write a letter when you want to leave
Don't call me at 3 a.m. from a friend's apartment
I'd like to choose how I hear the news.
Take me to a park that's covered with trees
Tell me on a Sunday - please

Let me down easy, n
o big song and dance
No long faces, no long looks
No deep conversation.
I know the way we should spend that day
Take me to a zoo that's got chimpanzees.
Tell me on a
Sunday - please

Don't want to know who's to blame
It won't help knowing.
Don't want to fight day and night
Bad enough you're going.

Don't leave in silence with no word at all
Don't get drunk and slam the door.
That's no way to end this.
I know how I want you to say goodbye
Find a circus ring with a flying trapeze.
Tell me on a Sunday - please

Don't run off in the pouring rain
Don't call me as they call your plane.
Take the hurt out of all the pain.
Take me to a park that's covered with trees.
Tell me on a Sunday - please"

In my humble opinion this is one of the greatest of modern love poems and when you add Lloyd Webber's music it simply transports the senses. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment