Wednesday 30 September 2009

DUSTY BUST

We are all used to seeing cheap music CDs selling at low prices. These tend to feature lesser artists such as say.......Rolf Harris. (Sorry Rolf, but I've never forgiven you for treading on my foot that time you were crossing the road in Bristol and anyway, 'Two little Boys' just doesn't do it for me).

However, I was saddened recently when I was in my local news-agents and spotted a bin labelled 'Manager's Specials'. There, sitting forlornly on the top, was a CD by one of my all-time favourite singers. It was called simply 'Nat King Cole' and featured 20 tracks including classics like 'Nature Boy', 'Embraceable You', 'Paper Moon' and plenty of others. The price of this collection of music masterpieces was just 75 pence (about $1.20). Best of all, I just found the same CD for sale on the internet for £4-00 so I'm celebrating my bargain. However, I can't help but think of the phrase 'How the mighty have fallen'.

It puts me in mind of a lovely poem called 'On the vanity of earthly greatness' by the American poet Arthur Guiterman (1871-1943). I hope you enjoy it:

“The tusks that clashed in mighty brawls
Of mastodons, are billiard balls.

The sword of Charlemagne the Just
Is ferric oxide, known as rust.

The grizzly bear, whose potent hug
Was feared by all, is now a rug.

Great Caesar's bust is on the shelf,
And I don't feel so well myself.”

3 comments:

  1. One mans treasure is another trash as they say. If you were to offer me some of the cds in the charts today for free i would still say no. I think music is going through a bad phase, dance music is just not my thing. Nat King Cole is perfect chill out music. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brain not working today so I'll just say Hi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Joe... hope his brain gets to working! :)

    I've thought of that before, how once we are gone, we are soon forgotten. Everyone is, no matter how famous. And our possessions? They are nothing in the stream of time.

    Glad you got such good bargains on your music, Nat is surely one of the classics.

    (Oh, and Tori was actually focused on a CAT in that photo I have of her!)

    ReplyDelete