Wednesday 20 April 2011

SCAREDY CATS

Chances are that you're Sesquipedalophobic. If you weren't before you might well be now because Sesquipedalophobia is the fear of long words.

Like me, you might well be surprised at just how many things people are afraid of. It is a very long list. There are some which aren't too surprising. Pentheraphobia for instance is fear of your mother-in-law and surely a great number of women are Parturiphobic - which means that they fear childbirth. In fact there are several words all of which mean fear of childbirth. Tokophobia (or Tocophobia), Maieusiophobia and Lockiophobia all mean the same thing.

Others baffle me. I mean, who on Earth would be Plutophobic? This apparently means that they are afraid of being too wealthy. I only wish I could count a rich Plutophobic amongst my friends.

Equally, some poor chap somewhere may be Venustraphobic. If so, he is frightened of beautiful women. Whatever brought that about?

My Foolish Fear award however goes to those who are Arachibutyrophobic. These poor souls are frightened that peanut butter might stick to the roof of their mouth. There is of course, a simple solution to this problem.

So whatever your fears, I hope you may face them with courage.

I'm afraid that's all I have space for.


No comments:

Post a Comment