Sunday 12 February 2012

READING YOU LOUD AND CLEAR


Do you remember learning to read? At first, no doubt, you read aloud but were soon urged to internalise the process and read to yourself. It's a good thing that we have this ability. Just think what it would be like on the morning train for instance, with everyone in the carriage reading their newspapers out loud.

Reading a book is one of the greatest pleasures in life but reading aloud can be very rewarding too. I well remember, many years ago, reading to my daughter to send her off to sleep and I so miss that experience. It was an absolute joy.

Luckily help is at hand for I am soon to become a grandfather and plan to read to my grandchild at the earliest opportunity.

One final tip about reading aloud. If you write a letter to someone, or compose a speech, or simply write for the love of writing as I am doing here, try reading it aloud to yourself. You will be surprised how this can help to 'get it right'.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Tony, I am sure your grandchild will love hearing you read to them.
    One of the things I like about my job is reading a book with the children. I also love it when they want the very same book to be read again the moment I have finished reading it!
    Happy reading!
    Ann X

    ReplyDelete