Sunday 3 March 2013

GOING OUT ON A LIMB

I very much hope that you have caught up with 'The Last Leg', which bills itself as an offbeat commentary on recent news events. 

It is presented by Adam Hills, Josh Widdicombe and Alex Brooker. It first came to our attention during the Paralympics the point being that these three guys have only four legs between them as two of them are amputees.

As you may know, there is a common phenomenon with amputees that they still feel the missing limb. A phantom limb is the sensation that an amputated limb (even an organ, such as the appendix) is still attached to the body and is moving appropriately with other body parts. Approximately 60 to 80% of individuals with an amputation experience phantom sensations in their amputated limb, and the majority of the sensations are painful.

I feel their pain. I too have undergone recent surgery and had a body part removed. I don't regard myself as disabled although the loss does make a significant difference. At the moment, I still feel the pain though the body part has gone and I'm having to use painkillers for relief. 

Though I have no plans to enter the next paralympics, I'm sure going to miss that tooth.  


1 comment:

  1. I wonder if the tooth fairy has cold hands and a warm heart...

    ReplyDelete