Wednesday 21 March 2012

WHERE THERE'S A WILL ...


I have recently celebrated my 65th birthday. Following this, I have discovered that for some strange reason, insurance companies are less keen than they were to pay out large sums of money to my family in the event that I should die at some stage during the next twenty years or so.

This reminder of my mortality has prompted me to check up on my will and give it a tweak or two. I do hope that your own is safely in place.

This in turn had me looking to see what others had put in their wills and I have picked a few choice ones for your general amusement.

1. Our very own 'Will', William Shakespeare, famously left his wife, Anne Hathaway, his 'second best bed'. This prompts the obvious question 'who got the best bed?' to which I have not found the answer.

2. It seems that a namesake of mine, Anthony Scott, wrote in his will 'To my first wife Sue, whom I always promised to mention in my will. Hello Sue!'

3. Then there was the person whose will had not been very carefully checked since it included a sum of money for 'The Royal Society for the Prevention of Birds'. Vultures presumably.

4. Another person's will wished for 'peace and affluence to all my friends and a piece of effluence to all my enemies'.

5. Spare a thought though for the lady who left her beloved cat her entire house. The lady's funeral took place on a glorious sunny day and her cat who was happily sunning itself on the drive was run over by the hearse.

They make my own will seem positively dull by comparison.

1 comment:

  1. Wher there is a will there is a way..
    so I have heard

    ReplyDelete