Sunday 15 April 2012

PUT IT DOWN TO MY VINTAGE


I love wine and I find that it improves with age - the older I get the more I like it.

I also love cooking with wine and sometimes even put it in the food. The next best thing to drinking wine is reading and writing about it - so here I go.

Although, as someone pointed out, wine is like opera in that you can enjoy it even though you don't understand it, it is even better if you do have some understanding. Accordingly, having recently completed a course about appreciating wines, I now know my Merlot from my Malbec or if you prefer, I now know my Arsac from my Elba.

I next turned my attention to my own modest collection of wines. In all I have about 50 bottles or so. There are reds, whites, rosés, still wines and sparkling wines of different vintages. Wine tasting notes are available for these wines which tell me among other things when the wine should be drunk by. The point is that I need to drink the wine which is at its drinkable best by the end of this year before I drink the one which could wait another five years.

All I needed to do to have this information at my fingertips was to switch into anorak mode and complile a database of my wines with this info included and have the database available on my phone via iCloud. Seemples.

So now that I have the knowledge I'm ready to put my new mat outside in front of my door. It reads 'We only serve the finest vintage wines. Did you bring any?'

No comments:

Post a Comment