Sunday 1 April 2012

UNMARKED BY DESIGN


I mentioned elsewhere that having tattoos on your person, also known as body art, is the fourth most common addiction.

Sometimes I think that my city must be the tattoo centre for England as we have at least half a dozen studios and new ones seem to open regularly.

I now discover that we Brits are the most tattooed nation in Europe. What's more, our very name 'Great Britain' is derived from our love of being tattooed.

Apparently 'Britons' means 'people of the designs'. Also, the name of the northern British clan known as the 'Picts' means 'the painted people'.

So it seems that I belong to the tattoo nation and perhaps I am in a minority in not wanting one.

Why do I not have a tattoo? Well as someone once said:

"When people ask me why I don't have any tattoos I ask them 'Would you put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari' ".



photo art by Katie Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment