Wednesday 18 July 2012

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

My first wife had a lot of christian names - five to be precise.

I have just one middle name. It is Peter but I doubt that my friends know that.

If I were to ask you the full name of our queen, you would probably be as stumped as I was until I discovered that it was Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor. 

Of course she also has titles. When she was crowned she was declared as being

"Queen Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of this Realm and of Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the faith". 

But we should count ourselves lucky that we weren't born in Uganda for that modest chap Idi Amin decided to call himself

"His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, CBE, Lord of all the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular".

But I bet he signed his name as 'Idi'.

Oh and just for good measure, he also declared himself to be the last king of Scotland. Yet try as I may, I am unable to locate the pattern for the Idi Amin tartan. Funny that.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment